Students who wish to participate in any EE activity must meet the eligibility criteria listed below:
- registered in the Faculty of Social Sciences in a degree program;
- in good academic standing with the university (not on academic probation);
- in good financial standing with the university (no outstanding financial accounts on the student record); and,
- completing a minimum of 18 units during the current Fall/Winter Term.
Other students who may be eligible, but are required to pay a $50 administration fee are those who meet the above criteria and are:
- registered in fewer than 18 units in the Fall/Winter Term; or,
- Arts & Science or Humanities students who are registered in a combined Honours degree program with a Social Sciences discipline.
If you fall into either of these categories, please contact us.
Please Note: Alternate or additional eligibility requirements may be applied to individual EE activities (see below).
Limiting Student Access to Participate:
EE reserves the right to limit student access to one or more activities for a determinant amount of time for reasons including, but not limited to:
- failure to complete requirements of an existing EE activity that is not normally recorded on the student transcript (e.g. Career Placement, USRA, Student Experience Grant, etc.);
- any student action where the reputation of the student, and/or EE, the Faculty of Social Sciences and/or McMaster University may be compromised;
- any situation where a student knowingly submits false, misleading or unauthentic/plagiarized information in an application or document; and,
- submission of an application that is incomplete, inaccurate and/or that is deemed unsuitable by EE staff.
In the case where a student's ability to participate in EE activities is limited or revoked, the student will be notified in writing as soon as possible.
To be eligible for a USRA, students must meet the eligibility criteria listed above, as well as:
- be eligible to work in Canada;
- have received fewer then two (2) USRAs to this point in your academic studies at McMaster; and,
- normally have a term and cumulative grade point average of at least 8.0.
Students registered in the Faculty of Humanities who are registered in a Combined Honours degree program with a Social Sciences discipline will apply to the Faculty in which their supervisor resides.
Students are eligible to apply for a USRA in their graduating year. For graduating students applying to the Summer USRA, preference will be given to students who have applied for graduate studies commencing in September 2017.
Students registered in the Arts and Science Program are not eligible to apply for the Social Sciences USRA.
To learn more about the Social Sciences USRAs, please visit our USRA page.
To be eligible to participate in the Social Sciences Internship Program, students MUST meet the requirements listed above, with the addition of the following requirements from the time of application.
- Registered in Level II or above (Please note that official registration for Level II begins only after the student has successfully completed Level I requirements and has commenced coursework for Level II, usually in September of second year)
- Completed, SOC SCI 2EL0, Career Planning through Experiential Learning. No exemptions will be made. (Please note until a 'Pass' grade is processed by the instructor, permission to view and apply to internship placements will be withheld)
- Authorized to work in Canada. International students must provide proof of a valid work permit (refer to the website to ensure eligibility before submitting an application)
Please Note: In addition to the eligibility criteria listed above, students must ensure that the internship placement is completed before degree requirements are fulfilled.
To find out more about the Social Sciences Internship Program and how you can participate, please visit our Internships page.